Crunchy Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Sugar-Free Low-FODMAP Banana French Toast!
Who doesn’t love French toast? I’m sure there’s no better breakfast in this world! Couple this traditional, tasty favourite with a crispy cornflake crust, yummy bananas, and natural maple syrup, and you’ve got a sure winner!
In Norwegian, french toast is called “arme riddere”, which translates to “poor knights”. I have no idea why, but it’s such a fun name!
French toast is a fantastic alternative to pancakes or waffles, and quite a bit healthier if you top them with fruits and cut the refined sugar. Plus, it’s so easy to make gluten-free and dairy-free, and it’s also the best way ever to use up precious gluten-free bread.
This gluten-free dairy-free crunchy banana french toast is super quick to make, and it doesn’t even require any “special” ingredients. You’ll find all the ingredients you need already in your fridge and pantry. Forget messing around with flour and baking sodas, all you need are a handful of no-fuss ingredients and a frying pan!
I’ve chosen to use a wholemeal seeded gluten-free loaf to make this recipe extra healthy, but you may, of course, use white bread if you please. I used Schär Flerkorn fresh loaf.
Ingredients for gluten-free dairy-free crunchy banana french toast:
- 4 slices of gluten-free bread (I’ve used Schär Flerkorn fresh loaf )
- 2 eggs (i prefer organic, from pastured hens)
- 1/3 cup coconut based dairy-free milk (you can also use your preferred dairy-free milk)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp organic vanilla
- approx. 1 cup of non-frosted gluten-free corn flakes
- 1 ripe, organic banana
- natural maple syrup to taste
- Dairy-free butter for frying
Nb: Schär Flerkorn is lactose-free, but not dairy-free.
- Lightly whisk the eggs together with the dairy-free milk
- Add the spices, salt, and vanilla and blend well.
- Pour the cornflakes into a sealed plastic bag, and crush them to the consistency you prefer.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan, and add a dollop of dairy-free butter
- Dunk the slices of gluten-free bread into the egg mixture. Flip and gently push onto the bread to make sure it soakes up as much liquid as possible.
- Pop the cornflakes onto a plate, and transfer the wet toast to the cornflakes for a light coating of crispy crumbs.
- When the butter is bubbling in the pan, fry the slices of toast until they are golden brown and crispy on either side.
- Slice the bananas and fry alongside the french toast.
Serve immediately, with a light drizzle of maple syrup.
Enjoy with a healthy conscience! 🙂
This post was sponsored by Schär, however, all opinions expressed are my own. I only accept sponsored posts for products that I love!