Super Easy Caramel Plum Upside-Down Cake (Gluten-Free Lactose-Free )
Make a gluten-free upside-down cake from burger buns!
When there’s just no energy left for a bake-off, you can still get your fill with this super easy gluten-free caramel plum upside-down cake!
There are times in everyone’s lives when the hours we’re given each day simply won’t do, and the body just won’t keep up.
In the last months, I’ve lived on the edge of what’s possible for a human being to withstand (or so it feels). In December, I contracted a nasty sinus infection, which in January I gave up fighting with natural methods, and sought the help of antibiotics to overcome.
4 months and 4 rounds of various antibiotics later, and I’m still fighting this damn thing. It keeps me just sick enough to feel constant pain and frustration, yet not quite sick enough to stay in bed.
Along the way, blood tests revealed that my iron levels are at an all-time low, and, in the words of my GP, barely measurable. Fatigue, dizziness, and nausea just about get the better of me in between the bouts of sinus hell.. And all that might have been ok to manage, hadn’t it been for the timing.
You see, in December last year, we started the huge job it is to move from a long-term home to another.
We recently bought our future family home, and it was time to say goodbye to my “bachelorette pad” which had been my safe haven since my student years.. Below, you’ll see some photos from the listing:
It’s always exhausting to move house..
Since January, we have literally spent every day hauling boxes, suitcases, and furniture up and down stairs and in and out of vans, -or painting, installing kitchen units and cleaning dust in whatever time we had left over.
As we eventually moved intoa large house which has had nothing but a paint job since 1953, our backs were well and truly broken -but our spirits were not. I am exhausted beyond words, and my husband says that if he has to carry one more moving box he will throw up. Yet we soldier on, because we have found our dream house -our future family home. It will be more than worth the effort in the end.
Believe it or not, we bought this old thing:
It’s not much to look at today, but you can betcha I’ll be posting the progress throughout! 😉
Delicious cake with zero effort!
Luckily, from here on in, the hard yards will be handed over to the professionals. Builders have taken over our project, our house, and, it seems, our lives. My job from here on in is to make sure they’re happy, and there’s no better way to do that than to feed them (It works for husbands too btw)!
Cake is always a winner, but in a makeshift kitchen and with barely enough energy left over for buttering my toast, a lemon meringue pie isn’t really on the agenda.
-Cue my Super Easy Gluten-Free Caramel Plum Upside-Down Cake! Wow, this is such a delicious treat, you wouldn’t believe how simple it is!
When I whip up a batch of these puppies, I can make any man walk an extra mile or lift an extra box (-possibly from the sugar high, but anyhoo).
Make a super quick gluten-free upside-down cake!
This gluten-free caramel plum upside-down cake requires very little effort, and you literally needn’t even lift that heavy mixer out from the cupboard. Nope. No mixer needed. Not even any flour needed! In fact, the main ingredient in this cake is ready-made for you 😉
The secret ingredient is a gluten-free burger bun! Yup, you read it right. The cake base is made from a ready-made gluten-free burger bun and nothing else. How easy is that!
The wonderful people at Schär recently introduced their brand spanking new gluten-free Hamburger Buns, which are both lactose-free, wheat-free and, my favourite, preservative-free. They come in packs of four soft buns, and can be found on shelves in a supermarket near you.
Gluten-free hamburger buns are great to have on hand, and can be used for much more than burgers. Like, for example, this awesome caramel plum upside-down cake!
To make 4 upside-down cakes, you’ll need:
- 4 gluten-free burger buns (I used hamburger buns from Schär)
- 100 grams butter (or dairy-free substitute)
- 300 ml brown sugar
- 4 large ripe plums
- Whipped cream (or whipped coconut cream for dairy-free option)
- Mint leaves or lemon balm for decoration
- Optional: sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 175 c (350° F)
- Wash the plums and dab dry with a hand towel. Remove the pit, and slice it thickly. Set aside.
- Make the caramel sauce in an oven proof pan or skillet. Melt the butter and sugar together whilst stirring until the sauce is smooth.
- Take the skillet off the heat, and lay the sliced plums in the caramel sauce, covering the base of the skillet.
- Split the gluten-free hamburger buns, and place them, cut side down, over the plums. Push down a little to make sure the buns really soak up the hot caramel.
- Place the skillet or pan in the oven, and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Once you remove the cake from the oven, give it a few minutes to cool down so that the caramel sauce thickens a bit.
- Invert the whole thing onto a serving platter, or use a spatula to serve each piece (bun) individually. Make sure to drizzle some extra caramel sauce over the cakes whilst it’s still hot!
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of the caramel sauce, sliced almonds, and some lemon balm for decoration.
It simply can’t get much easier (or yummier) than this!
TIP: You can also try the same method with different fruits, like figs, apples or pineapple. Just as delicious!
This post was sponsored by Schär, however, all opinions expressed are my own. I only accept sponsored posts for products that I love!