Extra Special Gluten-Free Apple and Pecan Breakfast Pancakes!
The perfect weekend breakfast treat!
There’s something special about lazy weekend breakfasts. They feel worlds away from the fast-paced cereal bowls in a hectic working week, and they have a wonderful way of bringing families together.
I really love putting some extra care into our weekend breakfasts. Making it into a little holiday. Setting the table, making tea in a pot instead of a mug, using nicer napkins.. well, why not!
My favourite thing to make is new variations of pancakes. My Norwegian heritage has absolutely no breakfast pancakes in it. Quite the contrary. Breakfasts are traditionally light and healthy, with dark bread and fish spreads. No sweets at all. Which is why I have embraced the weekend pancakes, I guess. It feels like even more of a treat if it’s also a bit “naughty” 🙂
Last weekend, I had a go at making apple strudels, and as a result I was left with quite a lot of leftover apple filling. The next morning I decided to put it to good use, and made gluten-free apple and pecan breakfast pancakes. They were unbelievably delicious. Possibly the best pancakes I have ever eaten!
- Two medium sized apples, peeled, cored and cut into little pieces.
- 1/4 cup pecan nuts, chopped
- about 2 tbsp raisins or sultanas
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup gluten-free white flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1,5 cup milk (or dairy-free alternative)
- 2 tbsp melted butter, cooled (or neutral oil)
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder or bicarb
- Maple syrup and extra apples, pecans and sultanas for serving (optional)
- Mix the apple pieces, chopped pecans and sultanas in a bowl, and add 2 tsp sugar and all the cinnamon. Combine well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients to make a smooth pancake batter.
- Add the apple mix to the pancake batter, and cook on medium heat, using a bit of butter or oil in the pan, Turn the pancakes as soon as you see little bubbles forming.
- Serve with maple syrup or regular syrup, and with extra apple, pecans and sultanas over top.
Enjoy your breakfast!
Have you got any awesome ideas for pancake fillings? Please share int he comment field! 🙂