Moist Gluten-free Norwegian Christmas Cake; Vanilla and Light Citrus with almonds and dried blueberries
Best cake ever!
One of my favourite Norwegian Christmas Cakes is one called “Mor Monsen” which actually translates to “mother Monsen”. Whoever Mrs Monsen was, she sure left a fantastic recipe behind!
This seasonal staple is baked in an oven tray, then cut into little squares or diamond-shaped pieces. It is jam-packed with eggs, and has a dark vivid yellow colour. It may be a cake, but all those eggs bring with them incredible nutritional value! This wonderfully golden cake tastes rich but light, with a hint of citrus and almond; such a beautiful cake that you can easily get addicted to!
Mor Monsen cake is traditionally sprinkled with chopped almonds, pearl sugar and currants. In my version I use dried blueberries which i prefer to the currants, and which gives this old favourite a contemporary twist.
This cake is very easy to make, and you will not believe how delicious it is!
- 300 grams of room tempered butter or dairy-free butter alternative (not spreadable)
- 300 grams of caster sugar
- 250 grams of gluten-free cake or pastry flour mix (try making your own!)
- 9 eggs from pastured hens
- zest of one lemon (wash the lemon first)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xantan gum
- 100 grams almonds
- 100 grams preservative-free dried blueberries
- 50 grams of pearl sugar
- Butter and line a baking tray with dimension of approx 20 by 40 cm, and preheat your oven to 175c/ 350f conventional (not fan)
- Whip the butter and sugar white
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites
- Zest the lemon
- Add the egg yolks, zest, flour and baking powder to the butter and sugar mix, and blend with mixer set to medium speed
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites stiff
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter
- Chop the almonds
- Pour the cake mixture into the baking tray, and drizzle blueberries, pearl sugar and chopped almonds evenly over the top
- Bake on the bottom rack of your oven for 25 minutes.
- Cut into squares or diamonds once it has cooled completely
- Store in air tight container